When it comes to lipstick, in our opinion, nothing is sexier than rocking a red pout. Whether its fire-engine red, a classic red suitable for all skin tones or that perfect style statement scarlet red, it’s hard to find a lipstick hoarder who hasn’t tried this look. The shade can anchor your makeup look and transform your ordinary outfit into extraordinary.
Though, red is an instant pick-me-up when applied incorrectly, these pucker up lips can be a major downfall. So what do we do at times like this? Go intense with exfoliation; apply a creamier lip liner that helps to prevent your dry, chapped lips and opt for a defined lip primer that works magic to ensure a smooth application and long-lasting color.
And even then if you think perfecting it is something beyond rocket science. Don’t you worry when we are around! Read ahead as we demonstrate two simple styles of applying red lipsticks, along with putting the best look and brands to the test. While one style requires some patience, the other is a perfect look for a low-maintenance summer.
Things You Need:
- A lip liner. I suggest Color Sensational Lip Liner In Red.
- A red lipstick. MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo
- A good lip brush, likeGorgeous Cosmetics ‘031’ Synthetic Lip Brush
- Tissue paper
- Red lip stain. Try: Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain
- Red lip gloss, Dior Rouge Dior Sérum de Rouge in Crimson
How to Apply Red Lipstick?
- Prep your lips by exfoliating gently with a toothbrush and moisturize your lips with a nourishing lip balm (Burt’s Bees Lip Balm.) Remember, if you apply the lip balm right before your lipstick, it will be moist and the matte finish won’t last longer.
- Next, dab on your favorite lip primer. Mine is NARS Instant Line & Pore Perfector, a good o prevent lipstick from feathering or settling into lines.
- Now comes the tricky part, use a sharp lip liner, for an effortless application, and line your lips carefully. Start at the cupid’s bow. Once done fill in your lips using the same lip liner. You can your little finger and blend the shade softly over the entire lip.
- Starting from the bottom lip, take a brush and apply your red lipstick. Then, continue the same on your top lip. Tip: Make sure you apply the color from the middle of your lips. Just spread the lipstick, as we will fill in the line after.
- Remember for perfectly defined and fuller lips; apply your lip liner around your edges and fill it in again after you have applied your lipstick.
- Use a tissue paper and blot your lips for a smooth and long-lasting finish.
If blood red lipstick is too much of commitment for you, apply a glossy version over your lips instead. And you’ll be left with a shiny, long lasting color on your pout. Continue reading…
- After preparing your lips, apply a good layer of red lip stains. The Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stainis particularly defined as a tool that gives maximum coverage with minimal effort.
- Once done, sweep your lightweight Revlon gloss over the lip stains.
- This way the lips are red and glossy without being over-the-top.
It makes a big difference when you are precise about your product application.
So there you have it – our favorite red lipstick, gloss look and its two simple application techniques that we are going gaga for.